September 7, 2004
By Avi Green
It's been awhile since I actually tried to write up some great
recipes for great meals on this wonderful site of mine, so now, I
think I'll add another, and this one is for Eggplant Hush Puppies.
So here goes.
2 large eggplants, peeled
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking
2 tablespoons grated or
finely chopped onion
Oil for deep frying
1. Put the eggplant cubes into a colander and steam, covered, over
boiling water until tender, for about twenty-five minutes.
2. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, combine the corn meal, flour, baking powder, and one
and a half teaspoons of salt in a bowl. Push the eggplant through
the colander into the bowl in small amounts, mixing in enough
eggplant to produce a medium-stiff dough.
4. Stir in the onion. Set the mixture aside for 15-30 minutes.
5. Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls into deep oil heated to 365
degrees and fry until it's golden. Drain it on paper towels.
Do it right, and you'll have six servings to enjoy with the whole
With that, this concludes the installment of the food recipes on my
site. And I hope I'll have more to come in time too.
Copyright 2004 Avi Green. All rights reserved.
Home FAQ Columns
Blog Food Blog